TTT kicks off intriguing Vuelta
This year’s Vuelta a España promises plenty of opportunities to reward aggressive riding and teamwork starting with Saturday’s 27 km Stage 1 team time trial. With 13 mountain stages, expect a grueling three weeks. Here’s a quick look at the equipment and rosters for the Zipp-equipped Omega Pharma - Quick-Step Cycling Team and Team Saxo-Tinkoff:
Omega Pharma – Quick-Step Cycling Team
Vuelta roster: Kevin De Weert (BEL), Andrew Fenn (GBR), Tony Martin (GER), Gianni Meersman (BEL), Serge Pauwels (BEL), Pieter Serry (BEL), Zdenek Stybar (CZE), Guillaume Van Keirsbulck (BEL), Kristof Vandewalle (BEL)
What they’re riding: Zipp wheels, bars, stems and seatposts; SRAM RED; Quarq power meters
Riders to watch:
- The whole team! Omega Pharma – Quick-Step is reigning world champ in the team time trial, and expect them to go full-throttle in the Stage 1 TTT riding Zipp 808 Firecrest and Super-9 Disc.
- Zdenek Stybar, fresh off two stage wins and overall victory at the Eneco Tour, will be looking for more opportunities to add to his stellar late-season performance.
- Tony Martin will be an engine in the team time trial and a threat in the 38km individual time trial.
Vuelta roster: Roman Kreuziger (CZE), Chris Anker Sørensen (DEN), Nicki Sørensen (DEN), Michael Mørkøv (DEN), Nicolas Roche (IRE), Matteo Tosatto (ITA), Rafal Majka (POL), Evgeny Petrov (RUS), Oliver Zaugg (SWI)
What they’re riding: Zipp wheels, bars, stems and seatposts; SRAM RED 22,
Riders to watch:
- Four potential riders for high GC finishes are Roman Kreuziger, Nicolas Roche, Rafal Majka and Chris Anker Sørensen.
- Michael Mørkøv is always a threat for a long solo breakaway and contends well in sprints